Jesus Christ's Impact on the Law
Scripture: Matthew 5:17–5:20
Jesus Christ’s Impact on the Law
We have been looking at Christ introduction to the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus began with a new ethic for a disciple that would produce good works that honor God. There is still a looming question in the minds of the listeners which is “How does Jesus fit into the current religious requirements of the Law?”
Jesus clarifies this in verse seventeen when He states that He will fulfill the Law. Then, He recaps two attributes of the Law which will point out the need for a Savior.
- The Law’s stability
- The Law will not be changed by a typo. (v.18)
- The Law will not be change by false teaching (v. 19)
- The Law’s requirement (v.20)
- The entrance requirement into heaven is holiness and rightlessness.
Purpose for the Law:
- Rom. 15:4 – To give hope of a redeemer
- 1 Cor. 10:6 – To be an example for us
- Gal. 3:24 – To be a school master that brings us to Christ
- Jesus Christ’s impact on the Law
- Completes the Law – Rom. 10:4
- Completes our Righteousness – 2 Cor. 5:21
How does Jesus fit into your belief system?